Sunday 31 July 2022

Short Game Reviews: July 2022

Stray:

Pretty decent action adventure game, all though I would preferred the game to have more of the stealth based puzzles overall. They were the most enjoyable parts for me.

Industria:

Overall, it's a decent game. I actually think it works well as a Steampunk Half Life but my big issue with this game is the length. The puzzles, exploration and shooting all feel satisfying enough and the weapon sound effects are great but it being a 2 hour game really feels like the game ends super anticlimatically. The ending just comes out of nowhere. It's weird how these 2 hour fps games exist like Severed Steel, Bright Memory Infinite and this game. It's worth checking out but at a sale price.

Klonoa(Phantasy Revive Remake): 

Pretty good game overall, it has a lot of solid jumping puzzles and the story is more engaging than your usual platformer but a lot of frustration comes from actually trying to aim your grabs. In fact so much of it, comes from a lack of actual precesion. Still a solid game, and I am glad the recent remaster gave you unlimited lives because those later levels can be really annoying.

Spider-Man Miles Morales:

Worse than the base game in terms of story but it's still good enough in it's own right. It did the whole, "protagonist starting out as a superhero" better than the Avengers game did. I also think stealth and combat are improved overall. Mainly because this game doesn't have anything as overpowered as double finishers in the base game. I also find stealth an interesting blend of Crysis(when you unlock cloaking) and Tenchu. I did wish the game pushed you into it more because I didn't notice the stealth improvments until I started to use the stealth mechanics more at my own volition. 

Now I just wonder why I ever want to play as Peter Parker since Miles is way more fun to play as. Got to wonder how Insomniac will solve this but overall, as an expansion sequel, the game is solid.

Burnout 3: Takedown:

I enjoy the game, the driving is satisfying, takedowns feel awesome and the risk reward system is great and I love how fast and reckless you can be but there are a number of thing that hold the game back.

First, I am not an avid racing game player but the lack of a story more so the lack of a trational campaign I found bothersome, it felt like I was barely making any progress. This might not be an issue for some but the way I consume games I prefer a tradional campaign structure.

First, I am not an avid racing game player but the lack of a story more so the lack of a trational campaign I found bothersome, it felt like I was barely making any progress. This might not be an issue for some but the way I consume games I prefer a tradional campaign structure.

Lord of the Rings Return of the King Game Review:

For being scripted brawlers based on a movie, there is some enjoyment to be found. Combat is janky but it is decent and is actually better than some WRPGs that I played. I am kind of interested in playing some musou games now after playing this, I am not even sure why, I guess there is a weird power fantasy in killing hundreds of moronic enemies. The protect missions are as bad but there are less of them in Return of the King.

I do like that in Return of the King, you can buy moves and health upgrades for multiple characters so you won't be "underleveled" when you play as characters like Aagorn and Sam. The boss fights are awkward. I did find the scenarios where you played as Sam to be pretty cool. Like throwing spears at a shielded orc to break his defense or setting traps to kill a number of orcs or avoiding the Nazgul's line of sight while he is patrolling around the castle. Using fire to fend off the spiders was interesting too.

It's weird playing LOTR Two Towers and Return of the King tie in games. I heard they were hidden gems for a long time and they are pretty solid but all they really did was make me want to watch the LOTR movies again, so in a sense they are trailers for the movies so I am not sure if it's a good or bad thing if they are that. As games they are decent for being movie tied to a movie and as trailers, they work extremely well.

Overall, some of the better movie licensed games.


No comments:

Post a Comment