Saturday 30 July 2022

Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex Review

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, an anime I have a huge soft spot for. It's one of the anime back 10 years ago that got me into the medium again after having a weird hiatus from it back in 2008. I always did like the show even though teenage me might've not have 100% grasped what is going on, but watching it now, I feel like this show is even better than I remembered when I watched it the first time and the second time.

Honestly, many have praised this show a lot and it's anime that actively rewards the viewer for paying attention to it especially when I try to spot little details in all my favorite works. I knew this series was something special when at the end first episode Kubota asked the Geisha who was hit in the head of the start of the first episode if she was alright after botching the job he had at embassy early in the episode. I knew from then on that, "yeah this show is something". It was a detail they honestly didn't have to really add but they did and it felt rewarding to spot. Other details include Section 9 having access to the US statallite after the Jungle Cruise episode or the former Prime Minister Kanzaki tipping off Aramaki about Yakushima and his naval contacts after resuing his daughter from the Northern Terrorities. You even see Motoko hiding her watch to Batou after she hack into him at the end of the "Missing Hearts" episode. A plot point that comes up later. Stuff like this is why I really like this show.

On top of all that the characters are really well written too. Togusa doesn't get enough credit if you ask me. He's one of if not the most underrated underdog character ever. You often feel the tension regarding scenes centering him because he is not fully cyberized, has a family, and isn't as experienced as memebers on the team like Batou and the Major is. He is however a good shot with his handgun, and is a great investigator. Batou is one of my favorite characters in anime. The guy is such a joy to listen to and be around. He is short tempered and serious but also has a loveable goofball side to him which can bring in levity to the show. Chief Aramaki is stoic and is very good at pulling strings for Section 9 and tend to pry valueable information when the time comes for it. Pazu is often secretive and never talks much but I do like his man of a few words kind of characters. There is also the Tachikomas who are of course the mascot of the show but are also a clever way to bring in a younger character in an adult oriented show like this one without feeling it feeling out of place. There is also the Major who is a pretty good character in her own right being the leader that keeps everyone on the ground together. Overall, it's easily the one of the best cast of characters in anime.

Then there is also Yoko Kanno's fantastic music, it's easily one of the greatest anime OSTs ever, it fits the show really well and the also "stand alone" really well. The show has a lot of talking that is made clear but the music draws you in and enhances the scenes so well and does a great job at setting the mood every time it plays.

Then there is also Yoko Kanno's fantastic music, it's easily one of the greatest anime OSTs ever, it fits the show really well and the also "stand alone" really well. The show has a lot of talking that is made clear but the music draws you in and enhances the scenes so well and does a great job at setting the mood every time it plays.

The overarching plot of the Laughing Man is quite interesting but I always felt that way when I watched it but I do think the "stand alone" episodes are no slouches either my favorite episodes being "Testation" and "Jungle Cruise". The rest are also pretty solid too and are pretty engaging crime thriller stories. "Escape From" being the only weak link here because it felt like a weird family movie escapade in the first half of the episode but the Kenji Kamiyama has to shove in his love for movies in the 2nd half of the episode by shoving in a cyber crime involving a film maker. It felt the most out of place but still not terrible.

After all that praise, here are some negatives. While the Laughing Man episodes are a great story about intrigue and corporate warfare, I felt the actual main villain Yakushima was really underwhelming. He isn't revealed until late in the series and you never feel his influence on the greater story or feel his prescence. He just kinds of pops up, maybe that was the point but I felt he could've had more character than he actually had. Also, the ending with Serano was weird and I think was supposed to be an opening ending but it felt weird and confusing to me, mainly in that I am not sure who that guy that attacked Serano was. It still confuses me to this day, maybe it's the point, but I am not big on the lack of a clear explanation. And finally, the series can get into it's share of techno babble regarding the name sake of the show. While I get it, the show can get a little too convoluted for it's own good but this is sort of an issue I have with the ending conversation with the Major and Aoi in the last episode.

Overall, of course this show is great, but I just wanted to view what makes it so intriguing watching it a 3rd time.

No comments:

Post a Comment