Tuesday 8 February 2022

Halo 2: Anniversary Review

It takes 2 steps forward from Halo 1 while also taking 2 steps back. The level design is better, much better and it keeps everything that was good about Halo 1 and I actually like the Arbiter's cloaking ability and the later Arbiter levels in general. Mainly because cloaking gives you more combat options and lets you avoid Flood easier since Flood combat sucks, but one big issue I have with the game is the amount of sections waiting for an NPC or just waiting for a platform to move and kill a wave of enemies. These sections are boring and a massive pace killer. I don't think any Halo game has as many as this one does. The Shotgun feels kind of crappy too. Dual wielding is pretty good, I always did wish the later games had it. Brute combat gets boring after a point, I mostly just headshotted them with the Covenant Carbine and on Gravemind, I just used the Needler. The Brute Shot is a lame weapon even for Grenade Launcher standards trying to land a hit with is almost as preplexing as the game's story. 

I know Halo 2 went through lots of development problems and I think story is where it really suffered, it felt like the plot in general was supposed to be a lot bigger and grandoise than what it ultimately was. There's just way to many unanswered questions, and it felt like all the cut content was meant to fill in those gaps. And boy do Halo villains love to monologue endlessly. There are other issues like Gravemind just taking forever and got boring really fast. I'd probably say this game is better than Halo 1 overall even with it's flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment