Tuesday 25 October 2022

Just Cause 3 Review

I give this game a 6 but I got to admit this game has to be one of the more thrilling 6 out of 10 games I played, it's just that there are so many things about this game I dislike. I'll start with that first. The main missions are either awful, or nothing too memorable. There are WAAAAAAAAAY too many escourt quests, more than I can even tolerate and for a game that is about blowing stuff up and causing recklass abandon, this felt extremely out of place. The game checkpoints well and the game brings back enough health for the people you are protecting to make these sections at least feel winnable but I still stand by that there are too many escourt quests and more than I can tolerate. Outside of that the other main missions are nothing really too memorable either, nothing bad but nothing stand out. I am still not done describing my issues, the game seems to know it's main missions aren't good so it makes you liberate Provinces to remind you that the game is in fact about blowing stuff up. Problem with this is that it starts to get old when doing it for the 50th time. I started to become more and bored blowing up the same red colored structures for the billionith time since all they do is revolve around blowing it up or shooting. I know the tether system is there but I find it easier just to shoot the structures since most of the guns are already hitscan. This now leads into my second issue, I already have a strong dislike for regenerating health and this game only cements that. So much of the game's challenge comes from getting swarmed by enemies and deaths are caused by the fact that you want to regen your health but since enemies are covering your every flank and possible hiding spots to recover your health so you will die over and over due to the fact that the enemies are so renlentless that they won't let you regenerate your health. Luckily, what saves this from being unplayable for me is that the game autosaves every time you destroy property and it checkpoints well like I said before so it mitigates potential frustration. And finally, why is over the shoulder aim locked behind side quests? I generally don't like using auto aim in a lot of shooters but the game has that be what you use first and then the ability to aim behind side quests an industry standard aiming system to be baffling. The game is also really glitchy and buggy even to this day.

After all my onslaught of complaining, why did I find the enjoyment from the game that I did. Simpily put, this game has one of the best traversal systems ever. The grappling hook is the best implementation of one in a game, chaining parachutes into wingsuit gliding does such a good job at capturing the superhero power fantasy that a lot of superhero games even ones I like don't provide. When you wingsuit in the air for so long without touching the ground, I feel so awesome. The shooting and weapons all feel good and unlocking over the shoulder aiming improves it a lot. All though much of the combat encounters over it's long runtime can start to wear thin since you all you do is fight human enemies using hitscan weapons and occasional vehicle battling, not bad but considering how long this game is, this style of combat can't really sustain the length of the game.

So overall, one of if not the best traversal systems in a game, surronded by overall structure and game design that is mediocre but is saved by quality of life additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment