Monday 31 October 2022

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2(2009) Review

This goddamn game, I don't even know what is it with this title that keeps me coming back to it. I have beaten it a number of times on easy, normal and veteran and I am not even a big fan of it. I remember strongly disliking this game for the multiplayer and I still have strong hate boner for it since it, the CoD franchise from this point onwards and military shooters made me quit multiplayer gaming for years, while this remaster gets bashed strongly for the lack of it's mp, I am convinced if Activision were to bring back, the nostalgia would wear off and everyone would critcize the mp for the flawed mess that it is with the whole game basically being a game of run, shoot, and whoever points their gun with ADS first wins. Okay, enough ranting on the mp let's get to the single player.

The campaign, where to start, if you wanted to know where CoD became the infamous franchise that everyone ridicules to this day, it all started here. CoD before this game was basically the result of Medal of Honor becoming too one man army centric and the devs wanted to make the campaigns they made going forward more of a ground teamwork affair where a long soldier plays a role in a big battle. CoD4 did a good enough job at bringing this formula to the modern age with it's gritty grounded realism but MW2? Well this is the game where CoD's bro shooter image began. In CoD4, a lot of the missions were grounded military ops, this game? It's a wannabe Micheal Bay and James Bond movie with craploads of one man army setpieces that feel like something out of a dumb action movie than anything related to being gritty and grounded. And I wouldn't have a problem with this but the one man army set pieces conflict with the overly scripted nature of the game. The scripted style of previous CoDs was that you were supposed to be a lone solider working together with a group of soliders to win a battle, but now it feels like every time you try to act like a badass one man army, you get game overs and the game telling you aren't supposed to it do it this way because you aren't following the script. This is an issue I have with much of the later CoDs but it all started here. The MW2 fanboys will act like it's not true but it all began here.

But what puts this below stuff like Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops and some of the later CoDs in this style? Well the story in this game is stupid, and it's a stupid story that takes itself seriously. I am supposed to believe Makarov would go into an airport without a mask not even shooting out cameras and then shoots one American and then I am supposed to believe Russia would actually get into a war with the United States? And the way the fight between the two plays out isn't even nuclear for some reason and General Shepard despite Lance Henrikson having a great performance and does a great job with the material is just a poor man's General Hummel from the Rock.

And other issues I have with the game is that so many of the non SAS missions are you being bossed around by Keith David, I do like the guy but even Keith David can't save the fact that you are basically just one glorfied errand boy.

Also, the easy mode in this game isn't as enjoyable in other CoDs since it feels like Normal mode but enemies will miss more and you can't take a whole lot of hits to face which is so weird considering you can take so many bullets. I play CoD games on easy since you can be more proactive in combat and not spend nearly as much time waiting for health to regen.

So in spite of me complaining about this game and passionately ranting for multiple paragraphs, why have I beaten this game multiple times? I guess because the weapons feel nice and the campaign is brisk, the music is geniunely fantastic and is one of the best scores in fps games, and it never goes on long enough to really start to annoy me and considering how much I disliked the multiplayer, playing the campaign on Veteran back in the time period it came out despite not also being great was more enjoyable by comparison all though not by much. It's just so strange to see the love the game gets now and while I don't dislike it, I don't find it be all that amazing, the campaign that is. I feel like me giving it a 6 is generous but the game gets the fundamentals of decent feeling fps combat to the point where I won't give it something lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment