Thursday 30 June 2022

Short Game Reviews: June 2022

Super Mario Galaxy 2:

It's pretty good and is overall better than the first but two things that kill it for me are the motion controls stuff and the crazy amount of Star requirements in order to progress through the game. I beat this on an emulator so the right stick by design isn't going to stand up to actually using your hand and the Yoshi levels can be annoying at times because of it. For the stars, I actually had to resort to using cheats on the emulator just so I don't have to do any bullshit mandatory secret hunting to get through the game. I strongly dislike it in any platformer but Galaxy 2 pushes it to new extremes. Still, this is my 3rd favorite 3D Mario. First being Odyssey, 2nd being Galaxy 1 and 3rd being this game.

Wild Guns:

Wild Guns seems like an on rails spagetti Western version of Metal Slug. I dig it.

F-Zero X:

I don't talk about racing games but this game was pretty enjoyable all though it was pretty hard. I do love how fast it is.

Jumping Flash:

For a game that predates Mario 64 as the first "prolific 3D platformer", I prefer this game. It's surprising how well desinged it is for an early 3D platformer and a first person one at that. The jumps feel smooth to pull off due to the fact that your character having legs makes it easy to tell if you are going to land on a platform or not and you can jump very high making complicated jumps easier to pull off due to the camera zooming in on your legs to see if you can make the platform.

I also liked how the game makes up for it's short draw distance by giving the player a good sense of where the level progressing collectibles are.

Solid game.

TMNT Shredder's Revenge:

I am more of a TMNT 2003 fan and a lot of the 80s TMNT refrences were lost on me. I did enjoy it but only when I played with people and it was only 3 player games. 6 player games are clusterfucks. It does confirm that 2D beat em ups are better with people than when you are alone. The game was a chore to play alone but having people backing you up made the game much more enjoyable all though at times people would just stand around or take forever to click on to the next level which did sour my experience but it's decent

Stranger of Paradise:

Stranger of Paradise's writing is fascinating in that its basically an edgier Kingdom Hearts with Doomguy as the protagonist. I had a hard time grasping the story of that game but Jack Garland is someone I can't my take my eyes off of. He's probably my favorite protagonist in FF, yeah I know it means little coming from someone who barely played the games in the series but the way Jack acts is hilarious.

As for the gameplay, the overall combat mechanics are quite solid and feels really good, all though I played on the casual mode, but that is because I just find the game to not explain it's systems very well, and if it was any harder, I would have to search and discard more items, and I certainly wouldn't want to rob Jack of his agency by grinding on easier missions so I can be properly levelled to beat the main missions.

The dungeon and level design is quite good. There are a lot of shortcuts(the characters will remind you constantly) and there are a number of cool gimmicks that change up exploration throughout like finding keys, shifting planes, cooling lava, activating light switches, and going through misty areas to name a few. It feels like something out of an action game rather than an rpg, in fact the length of the game overall feels more like a traditional action game than an RPG which is why I played this game to begin with. Overall, I had a good time considering I haven't played an RPG in a while.

Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl:

I am not a big fan of Smash Bros styled fighting games and it annoyed me that this game didn't have a tutorial to help me understand them better. I only played this because it was a PS Plus game, I would have never have played it otherwise. I prefer the Nick Kart Racers games over this one. All though that is because I prefer kart racers over Smash styled fighting games.

Kao the Kangaroo(2022):

It's pretty much exactly what I expected, a 3D platformer that is competent in every respect and while nothing groundbreaking was a good time from start to finish.

The writing was pretty bad but it did get less annoying as it went on all though those pop culture refrences are going to be super dated.

The level design is all around solid and the game does a good job at changing things up like throwing in elemental power ups, grappling hook, grind rails, simple enviromental puzzles and timed platform challenges, all of it is mixed and are used well enough, nothing here you have never seen before, but is executed well enough. Combat is also decent too, not too complex, but it gets the job done and breaks up the platforming.

The lives system was pointless overall and the game is pretty easy enough to the point where you will never run out, I wonder why this was in the game.

Overall, I wanted a fun 3D platformer and I got just that.

Sayonara Wild Hearts:

Decent "experience game", it was more challenging than I was expecting it to be but it could be because I suck at rhythmn games. The whole thing feels like a playable music video, and while not my thing, it was decently executed for what it tried to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment