Sunday 21 April 2024

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe Review

I normally don't talk about fighting games, but I'm sort of familar enough with the Mortal Kombat and by extension Injustice games that I want to talk about this particular game. 

I always heard this game wasn't very well liked by people and heard it wasn't very good, while I don't think the game is anything amazing since fighting games aren't really my genre, the game is at the very least decent enough for the kind of casual player I am. 

I only played the story mode and while it seems weird that I am primarily talking about the Story Mode for a fighter, I primarily bought this game for it since over the years I heard it was a proto MK9. 

Outside of the fact that the game has two playable sides with MK and DC, it very much plays like MK9 before MK9 you control a certain character for a few fights and then you switch to the next one, I have seen many criticize this system, and while I do very much understand where they are coming from, I kind of like it in the sense it feels like a weird, if somewhat not efficient enough tutorial on how to use certain characters, it's basically sort of like a tutorial mode with a narrative and this works for a casual player like me. I would've just ignored this game entirely if they went with the option of just having Arcade mode and that's it. 

However the problem but at the same time a strength is that since you play as so many different characters, you'll play as a character you like one minute and then a character you like another all though since I'm more familar with MK characters and their movesets over the years, I might've enjoyed playing as the MK characters more than DC, I know Liu Kang's fireballs, Bicycle Kicks, and Flying Kick and I know some of Raiden and Scorpion's moves too. I did like using Lex Luthor on the DC side, so it wasn't all bad. 

I also didn't mind the "3D" aspect of MK vs DC since I felt it did an okay job at feeling familar enough to a guy who plays modern MK and Injustice games, I mostly felt at home with the button and combo button inputs of despite the additional plane. The physics were weird sometimes, but I didn't mind. I also used combo breakers a lot more in MK vs DC by comparison to the Neatherrealm Studios fighters since there are no x-ray attacks. 

However despite all this, the story was kind of a letdown, I wasn't expecting writing masterclass or anything but the whole narrative felt like it could've had more meat on its bones. For example, Darkseid and Shao Khan both iconic villains in their own right combine together to form "Dark Khan" this sounds awesome, this could be a really wacky and over the top silly premise, I even bought the game for that, but instead Dark Khan barely has any screen time or doesn't do much of anything, he's just an end boss and that's it, no villainous acts, no worf effect, nothing to make me dislike him, he's just a boss fight, for such a wild concept, it felt like the writers could've done more with it. 

The rest of the story isn't much better, it's mainly just MK and DC characters, getting surprised or angry at each other then they fight, and then it moves on to the next fight, my big issue is probably just the lack of a geniune plot, it just feels so loose that it's hard to get invested even for a "dumb fighting story" point of view. 

The whole MK and DC playable campaigns also felt like a weird wasted opportunity, I thought with both sides being playable, you were going to play out both perspectives to "get" more of the story but they don't seem to intersect or change that much, probably due to the lack of plot but at the same time, it was kind of a wasted opportunity yet again. 

The voice acting is also decent stuff and it has number of the MK9 and later NRS game VAs too, and outside of Shang Tsung, they get the job done. 

Overall, I complained about the story a lot but I did enjoy the game from a moment to moment gameplay perspective, I'm a casual fighting game player and I doubt I will ever be a hardcore one, but at the same time, for the relatively cheap price I got this game for, I had a decent amount of fun out of it especially for a guy who occasionally plays the NRS game, I was expecting some decent fun and thrills and got just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment