Wednesday 31 August 2022

Short Game Reviews: August 2022

 Hell Pie:

The game has the best movement system in a 3D platformer I have ever played, it's crazy the amount of stuff you can do with Nugget as a grappling hook that is not contextualized. It's up there with Tenchu and Just Cause when it comes to the implementation of the idea. The level design is decent enough and the game plays well. Some of it can be buggy but I say the game is worth checking out for the movement system alone all though the fact that there is a skill tree hurts the game since a lot of people even me to some degree will miss out on the cool movement options because I didn't try to 100% it.

The final boss can be irritating but the game overall is a solid platformer with a great movement system.

Sniper Eliter 5:

Pretty enjoyable game overall, if you enjoy the Sniper Elite 3 and 4, this is more of the same. All though playing this game reminds me just how much smoother MGS5's animations are. That and I wished the side objectives actually helped you in later missions rather than just being busywork to extend the times of the missions. There is some weird bottlenecks in the levels too like Karl not being able to nudge past a certain corner or just weird level boundaries in general. The hit detection for headshots is also really bad. There are times where I shoot an enemy in the head and the game would not register it as a kill then other times it would. I also wished for a setting change since WW2 is starting to get stale.

I know it sounds like I am complaining this game and it is a solid stealth game overall, but the series is starting to get kind of samey now. Worth checking it out if you are a fan of stealth games since it has all the stealth game checkboxes like solid level design with verticality added in now, AI that is dumb enough for the player to manipulate but not too smart, and a decent number of tools to dispatch enemies and complete objectives.

House of the Dead Remake:

Gyro aiming doesn't work that well. I spent most of the game using this and it never once felt just right. Decent enough game otherwise.

Powerslave Exhumed:

One of if not the most unique fps game I have ever played. It predates Metroid Prime when it comes to being a 3D metroidvania. The level design is solid and the guns feel very good. It even lets you glide and even fly later in the game.

My only gripes is that you don't respawn at full health on checkpoint respawn, the pots being destroyed can spawn bs like enemies and and explosion that can wipe out massive chunks of health and some annoying enemies like the Cat Ladies and Magma monsters.

It Takes Two:

Pretty solid coop adventure, the game is hard to evalutate since I had to play with someone but I say this is one of the better and more memorable coop games that I have played. The story is pretty solid too and rather unique for a game with it's whole angle of trying to rekindle a failed marriage.

The game handles multiple gameplay gimmick changes better than other 3D platformers that I have played surprisingly. If you can find someone to play it with, the game is worth checking out, all though local coop is the better way to play.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

It's a pretty good game. It's a pretty unique shooter. How you use live critters as ammo, and how you will be killing enemies as well as defeating them non lethally as well having lots of third person moments mixed in with the first person shooting. The health system is quite unique too and I wish was replicated in more games since I prefer this over regen health and finite health, this feels like an interesting combination of the two. The story is also pretty interesting here even though I am not super familar with the Oddworld mythos.

My only big gripes with the game is that the stealth and bounty systems feel tacked on. Stealth in that you aren't given enough awareness to avoid enemies. And taking enemies in alive is more of a weird complicated puzzle than something you actually want to do. You will be rolling in money by just sucking up enemies, all though this becomes kind of gimmicky after the twist. Those Spider like enemies are also very terribly designed and I strongly disliked fighting them.

I would really love another Oddworld game like this one.

Star Fox Assault:

This might be the Star Fox game I actually like. The R Wing sections controls much better than 64 and I actually like the 3rd person shooting and on foot combat, they do a good job at breaking up the R Wing sections. And the 3rd person shooting parts are often brief and control well enough, I have played clunkier third person shooters than this. My only gripe with them is that there is no proper evade command. That and it feels like they are multiplayer maps repurposed for single player but considering they are meant to be a support to the R Wing stuff, I get why they are like that. I also don't get the big deal with the on foot combat when there is always a Landmaster nearby to break up that. I never cared for rails shooters or flight games that much so SF Assault being the way it is something I like. The music and visuals are great too and the story and writing is more engaging than I thought it would be as well even though the game copped out at the end. Overall, I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would.

Serious Sam: the Next Encounter:

I was going to give this a 7 out of 10 because the game nails the overall Serious Sam combat, large waves and weapon feel, but the game has something about it where the game feels way too long. There's just too many levels in the campaign and while this may sound like a positive, the game starts to get monotous with how samey the shooting and overall gameplay tends to feel. By the end of the game, the game was basically Electric Gun and Chaingun city, it might be the case with previous SS games but I argue those games since they are a lot shorter don't tend to stand out as much because Croteam's SS games tend to be 3-6 hours at least for TFE and TSE but by the time I got to last quarter of Next Encounter, I wanted it to end mainly becuase taking down so many of the waves got old. I know it's a strange compliant but I argue SS games are better off being 6-7 hours than the 12 it took me to beat this game.

It's weird because if you cut out some levels maybe at least 6 or 8, you'd honestly get a pretty solid spin off game overall. I say it's worth checking out but if you feel like quitting after the 3rd boss fight, I don't blame you.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land:

Very solid 3D platformer. It was such a fun, relaxing and cute time all the way through. I also like how the game's difficulty generally felt easy enough and there was rarely ever any random jumps in difficulty adding to the relaxing and cute atmosphere the game has. Feels very Super Mario 3D World inspired and I prefer this game over that. I also feel that, out of all the linear platformers that makes you do some degree of secret hunting in order to progress, Kirby and the Forgotten Land does it the best mainly in that a lot of the Waddle Dees are generally on the beaten path and the requirements to unlock bosses isn't too steep.

Honestly, as a 3D platforming fan, I had a good time with this game, stuff to complain about is that the RPG elements feels out of place in a game that already feels easy in general but still, this is far from ruining the game for me. That and the controls can throw me off from time to time, but overall, it's a very good game.

Trek to Yomi:

Game is okay, I did like how they tried to make a Kurasawa style samurai video game. I always felt the way his movies were made would make for an interesting game and that composition carried much of it. The combat is okay, I like how it tried to be a bit like Jedi Knight in how the sword felt lethal but at the same time, I felt the combo system kind of got in the way of that in that feels like a typical melee brawler at times too. It felt like the game had a bit of an identity crisis. Still, decent enough game mainly for the idea of playing a samurai movie in game form.

Star Wars the Clone Wars(2002):

This review is going to be weird, I played the game on easy with the infinite health and ammo cheats so this review may be a bit of the "off" side. But the game already has a lot of protect missions and throws lots of enemies at you so I say, the game has it's challenge even with all that stuff I previously mentioned. I will admit that for the tanks I didn't know you could strafe left and right due to the above mentioned cheats so that could skewer some of my thoughts on the combat for the game.

The game is overall pretty decent for a movie licensed game. The combat and moment to moment gameplay are satisfying enough, destroying vehicles to SW Prequels music is always a good time, and the story is surprisingly solid for a movie tie in game. It feels like it would be right at home on an episode of the Clone Wars 2003 show, the only weak link being Obi Wan's VA but I got used to him. It feels like a good proof of concept for what would later be the Star Wars Battlefront games.

Super Punch Out:

Pretty fun and it can be very challenging even with rewinds and save states.

Super Mario Kart:

Fun at first but the slippery controls and the repetitive tracks start to get boring after a couple of races. I really got tired of the game after I did the 50cc races.

F-Zero:

Hard even on easy but the satisfying sense of speed can still be felt here too. F Zero games are hard but the feel of them are incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment