Saturday 20 August 2022

Spy x Family Part 1 Review

This could be my expectations being out of whack but I thought Spy x Family was going to be spy operative group doing various assignments as a family but the whole show thus far is basically an espionage slice of show.

Thought this was going to be something along the lines of Lupin the 3rd and Cowboy Bebop with a whiff of Case Closed and it wasn't really that. After watching this and Arjuna, I prefer slice of life anime when the stakes are low and are more grounded. It's hard to take this kind of stuff seriously when the world could end and it has overarching threat. That and the characters aren't that great especially Yuri Briar, haven't seen an anime character that aggrevating in a while. The guy just screams, "LOOK AT ME, I SO OBVIOUSLY HAVE A SISTER COMPLEX" and the fact that he works for a villain organization that is supposed to be worth their marbles like the Secret Police and acts so moronic is enough to make me dislike him. Llyod is interesting but not enough to make me want to watch more.

Also, Yor seems pretty inept all around for an assassin too. She keeps providing Anya with advice that is sound on paper yet Anya always screw things up and the former acts super insecure as well. I was expecting her to be more level headed. Anya is pretty useless and she keeps squandering any potential she could have by downplaying her telepathy. Plus she feels out of place considering how grounded the setting is.

The pacing also seems off, I knew something felt kind of weird when they spent half of this season doing slice of life stuff and then around episode 7, they start doing the actual infiltration of the school. It also just feels strange to me why on earth Llyod would go so much out of his way to motivate Anya when that girl hasn't shown much promise, I get the idea behind but spending that much money? I just don't get.

Not terrible but not enough to make me want to watch more or read the manga.

No comments:

Post a Comment