Monday 7 November 2022

Ghost of Tsushima Review

The story really does carry the game, despite not being familar with Samurai movies, the game's story is surprisingly enjoyable. Well, the main plot is characters like Jin, Yuna, Taka, Shimura, and Ryuzo are, and I did like Jin's slow disillusion of the Samurai Code of Honor. The main vilain is underwhelming, not terrible but just kind of there even though he started out strongly enough. I didn't like how some of the characters' plots like Ishikawa and Masako were relegated to side missions and not part of the main plot even though they are main characters and that gave me major Mass Effect 2 vibes which isn't a good thing since, I would rather have internal conflicts and the main plot being interconnected in stories. The writing is solid and the story carried me through much of the game, that and I also like the "homage" of sorts to Infamous 2 where Jin and Yuna drink while sitting next to each before a major battle happens like Cole and Zeke at end of Infamous 2.

The gameplay? While I kind of like the combat, it's just not that refined, it's better than combat like Witcher 3 but that is a pretty low bar. My big issue is the autotargeting and how you can't manually choose you want to attack and this can bother me since the game requires you to switch stances a lot and you can hit the enemy with the wrong stance and then you got to pause the screen to change stances. The roll is also imprecise as fuck and I often got myself rolling into an attack that the enemy was doing and the damn stagger fall animation by a brute and getting bitten by animals was so maddening after a point since I got to watch Jin wait and slowly get out of the animation with no way to speed up the recovery time. This game also has a serious archer fetish and they are annoying in every game they are in. I dislike getting into melee combat then switching to over the shoulder view to shoot arrows since it can lead to me being disoriented. The stealth is also super generic stay crouched, hide in tall grass shit and avoid line of shit that has been done a thousand other times in other open world games and this game does very little to stand out from the pack, but to complement it, the stealth itself isn't "horrible" and the mandatory stealth sections do work decently enoughly and aren't too tiresome since they never overstay their welcome. I also played the game on easy since I found the combat while feeling decent enough since the blood and sword strikes feel weighty just felt it clashed with the button combos and the sword feeling lethal. For example, the game looks so realistic yet enemies will be tanking multiple sword strikes to the stomach, and as result the sword doesn't feel as badass and lethal as something like a Jedi Knight game. Playing on easy meant I can enjoy the story more and the sword would feel more lethal. That and so much of the combat of this game consists of you breaking enemy blocks and easy mode means I get to guard break faster and I have to wait less for the enemy's guard to be broken and I don't have to do the open world activates and exploration which are both generic as hell in this game I don't like to use that word but the game has all the boxes of what you find in these games, bandit camps, skill trees, finding ingredients on the overworld to improve stats, it's all been there, done that.

Overall, if it wasn't for Sucker Punch and them being solid storytellers, I would've dropped this game but I went through because I like them as a dev and their writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment