Friday 30 September 2022

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners Review

It was decent, I didn't find it super amazing but as a narrative that I "binged" in a couple of hours, it was a solid time. My issues are that without any experience with the Cyberpunk game, I am not sure what this show is tying into. Or any of the stuff it is building towards and refrencing. The ending was super anticlimatic mainly due to the fact that it's a prequel and it's a prequel that is 10 episodes that needs to wrap itself up as quickly as it can. The ending also felt as awkward, rushed and had similar vibes to Blade Runner Black Lotus. Also, not big on the whole main character saving the love interest at the last episode of the show like so many anime that tend to feature action and romance have, I find it so overdone since it feels like the writers really want to find a way to make the final episode impactful and "memorable". Also didn't like how there seemed to be a weird timeskip of sorts when Maine died, felt like one more episode was needed to smoothly transition David's character development.

I have been complaining thus far but I do think the show is solid. The animation, action, soundtrack and characters all make the show engaging enough for it's run time, and for an anime based on a western game, it manages to stand out a lot due to having so much effort put into it. The dub also really does a good job at investing me in the material. This anime has even effected me and makes me want to try out the Cyberpunk 2077 game and if that was the geniune intention, then they succeeded, and I am surprised it worked even on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment