Friday 29 April 2022

Onimusha 3: Demon Siege Review

Onimusha 3 is a good game and it's my favorite in the series overall. The level design is quite good and it handles backtracking much better than Devil May Cry 3 and 4 do.

Onimusha 3 does a good job having exploration but not having get in the way of the action gameplay. The puzzles are simple enough without being overbearing and the backtracking feels like it gives you enough information without feeling like you are going in circles.

The visuals, music and the opening CGI movie are great. The story has it's weird interesting charm in how oddly Hollywood it feels while combing aspects of cartoons and anime.

While the combat is good and feels mostly solid. There is one big problem for me that I dislike and that is the camera, remember how people insult the camera in older Resident Evil games for how you are at it's mercy during shooting parts? That is the problem here, it's easy to get attacked by enemies off screen, or the camera angle changing making you lose the alignment of where you are moving and I will admit this could be because I used the strafe feature too much, but I wanted to be more aquianted with it due to one big issue: the final boss and this is interesting because the final boss is a curve ball so big that I didn't beat him until 2 years later after I got to him when I first played the game and now I know why, the game changes it's camera out of nowhere. Remember how you were relying on a fixed camera and you rarely ever needed to strafe? Well here is a boss that uses a follow cam and actively makes you strafe out of the way rather than block, which the latter you were doing up until that point. The whole I was fighting him I am like, "why didn't the whole game just have a follow cam instead of a fixed camera?" This is probably why the final boss can stump people.

Another issue, and while I think they do an interesting job at breaking up the pace, but I do find interesting is how much of a mess Resident Evil 4 might've been if the whole game kept the fixed camera from the Michelle levels in this game rather than using the over the shoulder view. All of the combat problems with the camera I mentioned here goes double for the Michelle levels, and how the lack of aiming and overuse of auto aim makes the shooting feel not that satisfying as a shooter, fine for breaking up the pace, but I would never want a whole game like this.

Overall, it's a good game but I think it can be rough around the edges at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment