Tuesday 15 March 2022

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Review

I can safely say that Zelda before BOTW I never ever got the hype for. The games just bore the crap out of me. They have exploration and combat in which neither are that compelling. 

Exploration just boils down to looking around in the overworld and banging your head against a wall to know where you are going and Dungeons while more interesting just revolve doing a bunch of mini puzzles and then get an item and do more mini puzzles then boss.

I can see why I prefer stuff like Darksiders mainly because they had better combat and they also had more involving traversal due to them having actual platforming. I can see why I prefer Metroid, in those games the exploration and world design is more compelling than just Overworld, then Dungeon, Overworld then Dungeon rinse repeat. People bash Prince of Persia Warrior Within for being confusing when this game is even more so. 

I will give this game credit in that the Peagsus Boots makes the world faster to traverse, the world being smaller, and combat having a quicker pace does make it more tolerabe than most of the 3D games but at the same time, it still has everything as to why I was lukewarm on the Zelda series to begin with. This series gets away with too much because it was "the first" in gaming. 

A lot of the games in the series just has that whole, "doing this in a specific way" kind of design I dislike so much and it doesn't help that combat carries it very little. As much as I bash BOTW, at least that game made the mini puzzles and exploration interconnected. BOTW doesn't have a boring overworld because the whole point of that game is to explore the overworld. 

This review was mostly a rant on Zelda as a franchise but playing this game reminded me why I never liked it that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment