Sunday 3 May 2020

Why I am bored of Resident Evil

 

Why I am bored of Resident Evil


I recently just beat REmake 3 and the game is just okay to me. The Downtown section was by far the most open but after that it mostly becomes a linear trek which I didn't hate but at the same time I feel like the game is super confused.

It sort of has the open levels of old school RE while having more action stuff in the actionized REs. It throws lots of enemies at you and scripted sequences. You also get dodging and counterattacking. The Carlos Hospital level was basically the house hold off from RE4.

I'll just be get to the point and say it, I am BORED as fuck of Resident Evil. Or at least these "horror" oriented RE games. I would rather just have another balls to the walls action RE at this point.

The guns in both REmakes 2 and 3 both don't feel that great at all. I'll give REmake 3 some credit for improving the weapon feel to varying degrees but it has the same issues, but just to a less noticeable degree. You will still put in a lots pistol and shotgun rounds into the zombies and they will still get up after a lot of shots. I just don't get the point in having a Resident Evil game where the guns just feel don't feel that great to use. Also, the amount of times I got jumped by random zombies in REmakes 2 and 3 are so numerous it's not even funny. I always go like, "what" every time I get jumped from behind. Resident Evils of old at least gave you various audio cues is to when an enemy was near by but in these modern REmake games I have no idea when enemies are near by or when they are actually dead. When a zombie grabbed you on the ground in older REs at least they die after mashing a few buttons, in the modern REmakes you STILL have to shoot them and hope they actually go down.

I can at least forgive the weaker weapons in RE6 to varying degrees because you had to use the melee along with the guns. But these newer REmake games, it's even hard to run away from zombies due to the third person camera. In the fixed camera REs, whenever you got grabbed or punched the static camera at least gave you an idea of what position you were in but since a third person camera follows the player, getting grabbed or punched gives you a harder idea of where your last position was thus giving you a window to be attacked again. So now, the weapons are weaker, and the third person camera makes enemy evading harder than it needs to be.

And now this just leads into more next point, if Capcom wants to continue RE either they should mix up releases of Action and Horror RE games to avoid staleness. I really feel like with these newer REmake games that Capcom, deep down wants to make an action RE but the backlash that 6 just made them afraid of making another. These third person REmakes really, to me, in some ways feels like an awkward blend of action and horror. It has the third person camera of the later REs and the level design of classic but since the weapons feel terrible and the third person camera is better for action games, it feels like the games are in awkward frankensteined position.

Let's be honest here, Resident Evil 4 as much as you love it or hate at least when it came out, put the series in an interesting position. It was no longer a game that was inventory management and saving ammo when it counts but more about using a variety of weapons to kill enemies with the occasional backtracking. My point is, it at least brought genuine freshness to the series where these REmake games just feel like an awkward combination of fixed camera RE and 4. It just feels like the games aren't even making any major innovations anymore and is just frankensteining old school RE and action RE.

I mean you can feel Capcom wanting to make an action RE again when Jill literally lifts a railgun over half her size to kill Nemesis and the Carlos levels.

Either I want an action RE or make a new Dino Crisis or Lost Planet game because RE is just a a weird position now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment